In 1990 the Bank of Stockton acquired the photo collection of photographer Leonard Covello with the purpose of preserving local history. The Covello Collection dates back to the 1850’s and consists of more than 21,000 historical photos from the Central Valley, the Mother Lode and surrounding communities. With cooperation from the Bank of Stockton’s archivist, Bill Maxwell, LODI360 was granted permission to share a sampling of that collection as it relates to the Lodi/Woodbridge area.
1900 – Baseball game between the Yo Semite Club of Stockton and the Woodbridge team
Beckman, Welch & Tompson Book Store – 1905
City Transfer Company employee, Frank Irey and colleague, moving items from a rooming house located above the original Burtons Shoe Store at 17 West Pine St. in 1917
Members of the Masonic Lodge officiate laying of the cornerstone for the Carnegie Library on West Pine St. in 1909. The Emerson School, constructed in 1907 and torn down in 1955, can be seen in the background.
E. G. Williams Packing Shed – 1907
1884 – L.D. Green pushes A. Lutz in a wheelbarrow down Sacramento Street as partial payment for a bet on the 1884 Presidential election. Green backed Republican candidate James G. Blaine, while Lutz supported Grover Cleveland
1910 – Frank Beckman in front of Beckman, Welch & Thompson Book and Stationary store
Grand Army of the Republic (Civil War Veterans) reunion at Stoddards Hall in Lodi – 1895
Archie Boyd, who worked for Joe Friedberger, delivering grapes to the railroad depot in 1905
House of Watermelons – 1887
Lodi Bycycle Shop on Sacramento St. in 1910
Circa 1900, the Lodi News-Sentinel newspaper operations moved to North Sacramento St., two doors north of Pine St. The Pocket Watch sign was for the G.W. Hill Jewelry Store. Harry Lillie, operated his merchant / tailor shop next door.
Lodi Outlaws Baseball Team – 1911 Top Row (left to right): L. Wilkinson – Captain; Matley – Pitcher; Prentice – Left Field; Corson – Center Field; I. Wilkinson – Right Field; Gerlach – Short Stop; Moore – Third Base :: Bottom Row: Graffigna – First Base; Josephus Friedberger – Manager; Posey – Second Base
1876 in Woodbridge – Attendees celebrate defeat of the 1846 Mexican Land Grant (Los Moquelemos)
Mason Fruit Company – 1915 – Founded by Wilton, Herschel & Lewis Mason – Building included an ice cream parlor
Lodi Telephone Company employees pose on a repair truck in front of the Pac Tel & Telegraph Office on West Pine St. taken in November of 1913. Foreman, Bill Atwater, stands near the door of the vehicle, with the chief operator, Hostedder, to his left. Bill Bull is leaning against the radiator. Stack of lumber on left was used to build the Hotel Lodi. Beyond the stack of lumber is the Newfield building.
1875 – E.W. Spencer and his self-contained photographer’s wagon. He later had a permanent studio in Lodi between the years of 1902 and 1914
Bertha de Almeda – 1907 Queen Zinfandel
A young boy pulls on the hand crank of a Model T Ford used to shuttle folks from Lodi to Woodbridge via Smith’s Lake (now Lodi Lake) in 1915. Notice combination ice cream wagon and real estate office operated by Charles Smith. (3 room house for $7 per month, utilities included)
Lodi Tokay Carnival Parade – 1907 – Sacramento St.
In the 1880’s, Lodi was known as the watermelon capital of the country. This photo shows a four-horse team pulling a freight wagon in Lodi filled with watermelons (1881)